Baseball season is underway, THREE times a week and once on the weekend…and games haven’t even started yet. I know every busy mother knows this struggle and the need for dinner not to be a burden or time consuming. In an effort to not fall prey to the drive thru syndrome that’s bad for us in the health and finance department I really lean on my quick and easy meals in the Spring and Summer.
I came across this beef and broccoli recipe on Pinterest and OH EM GEEE. It is indeed better than takeout. We’ve been eating this once a week for the past few weeks. When I cooked it the other night I thought sharing is caring and that I should share this beef and broccoli goodness with you.You start by marinating the meat. If you are busy I would recommend maybe preparing the first step the night before.
Dry ingredients are everything you probably have on hand
Baking soda, cornstarch, sugar.
Mix the dry ingredients with
Soy sauce, water and vegetable oil.
Allow the meat to marinate. I have purchased the fajita strips already cut as well as a flank steak that I cut myself into strips. Either works. Once the meat is cut, marinate in the mixture for at least 15 minutes.
Once the meat has marinated for your desired amount of time, go ahead and roast the broccoli in a little bit of oil.
After the broccoli is cooked you will remove it from the pan and then cook the meat separately. Once the meat is fully cooked add the broccoli back in and add the magic sauce.
The whole process post marinating takes about 30 minutes including cooking the rice.
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp LOW SODIUM soy sauce ( please use low sodium, otherwise it will be too salty)
- 1tbsp water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1½ lbs flank steak
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 heads of broccoli with stems removed
- Marinade: Mix the dry and wet ingredients together well. Place into plastic bag or bowl and add meat. Toss so that meat is covered well and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and flour. Set aside
- Heat 2 tbsp of the canola oil and roast the broccoli for about 3 minutes over high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the additional tbsp of oil. Add the meat and half of the sauce stirring often until cooked through. Once the meat is cooked add in the broccoli and the remainder of the sauce. Cook for another minute before serving.